Tuesday, May 14, 2013

But I KNOW YOU NOT GONNA SING THAT SONG!

Why, oh why do I get such urges?  What I refer to as my cranial sampler is all over the map, always.  Most notably and often most annoyingly, it goes into a meandering overdrive while I (try to) sleep.  Some songs are a relief to get stuck on repeat in my head--some song by Adele or Terence Trent D'Arby's "Let Her Down Easy" carry me off to a sound somber sleep...but others, like "Like the Weather" by 10,000 Maniacs sound like I turned the speed adjust dial on my turntable up to the maximum level as it culminates with a maddening insomnia inducing rendundance.  When that happens, I usually just reluctantly get up.  Just this morning some of the random selections my brain chose to revisit included "Alone" by Heart, Ian Dury's "Rhythm Stick" and my most disliked song by The Band, ("The Weight" [Is it the "take a load off..." line?])--as well as several other inexplicable resurrections...Mon Dieu.

But why I felt the need to hear and watch the video for Color Me Badd's "I Wanna Sex You Up" this afternoon is to remain an unsolved mystery.  The second highest top commenter on the YouTube clip wrote, "George Michael, Snow, and Kenny G, plus a black guy.  Brilliant."  Yes.  Exactly.  I was trying to distill that thought but that guy nailed it.  As I reviewed the sample-heavy track, I noticed something I hadn't picked up on in the early 1990's when I first heard this: a sample from Betty Wright's incomparable live version of her "Tonight is the Night," where she channels her mother's reaction to hearing the demo: "I like the music...you know baby, the melody  is really nice...but I KNOW YOU NOT GONNA SING THAT SONG" (the part in all caps is the 
 sample featured in "Sex You Up").  A vaguely interesting flight...(but do not miss this Betty Wright thing--unforgettable).





No comments:

Post a Comment